Tuesday 8 April 2014

Interview: Author Chrissy M. Book: Sexual Suicide

Author Chrissy M.
Book: Sexual Suicide
Website: Sexual Suicide
Interview: Author Chrissy M.
E-mail Interview Conducted by:
Lady Kat Chaos
April 2014

OCZ: Hails Chrissy! Tell us a bit about yourself.

Chrissy M: Well for starters I'm a 26 year old small business owner for a small family owned cleaning company; but in my spare time I sing and write. I have a 4 year old daughter, a 12 year old step daughter, I'm engaged, I have a black cat named Jynx, and a hamster named Wheeler.

OCZ: Do you prefer the term Horror, Weird Fiction or Dark Fiction?

Chrissy M: I prefer horror and dark fiction, both terms would be used for the things I write and come up with.

OCZ: What first attracted you to horror writing?

Chrissy M: There are several factors that attracted me to horror writing. For starters, thinking about the unknown has always been a good factor for me with writing; the things that make you wonder; the dark; the scary. Secondly, I've always been a huge fan of horror; all kinds, such as books and movies. I love the fear factor it can possibly bring.

OCZ: Which horror authors motivated you into writing, and have influenced your work the most?

Chrissy M: There is a long list of names of authors that have motivated me in my writing but my biggest two favorites are and will always be Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe. They were sick and twisted like a good horror writing should be!

OCZ: How has your environment/upbringing colored your writing? Do you ever come up with anything so wild that you scare yourself, that leaves you wondering where that came from?

Chrissy M: My upbringing in life wasn't the picture perfect one. With the amount of life lessons and bad things that have happened though the years gave me a motive to start writing. It helped me put my emotions into writing instead of reality.

As far as coming up with things so wild to scare myself… I don’t scare easy. Some of the things I think of might scare others, but it doesn't scare me, but I do often wonder where my ideas come from. I dream of this stuff while I sleep!

OCZ: What was your first introduction to horror literature, the one that made you choose that genre to write?

Chrissy M: Honestly, there really wasn't much thought about an introduction, because honestly it just seemed right. I mean I've always been a little crazy in mind and putting my weird, crazy thoughts on paper just seemed right. This genre excites me the most; it makes me really think and makes me see how deep I can get into things others may not understand.

OCZ: How do you feel about the horror boom of the 80’s and early 90’s and what do you think about it today?

Chrissy M: Well I feel the 80’s and 90’s had some of the best horror movies. Mind you, they were a little corny in dialog and obviously the picture wasn't as great, but they had the best story lines. Now days they are doing a lot of remakes, which is cool, but I'm not a huge fan of remakes. I would prefer originals; those always turn out the best.

OCZ: Beyond your own work (of course), what is your all-time favorite horror book and why? And what is your favorite book outside of the horror genre?

Chrissy M: I can’t honestly pick a favorite horror novel, because I have no read a horror novel in over ten years! But favorite book outside of horror would have to be the left behind series.

OCZ: How would you describe your writing style?

Chrissy M: Honestly, being the writer it’s kind of hard to explain what the writing style would be, as I’ve been working on this book; I have also worked on poetry, music, etc. But I can assure its colorful, descriptive, dark, dirty, with some humor.

OCZ: You've been working on your book, “Sexual Suicide” for about two years. How did you come up with the title? Can you set the scene for us in the opening with the characters and share a little of your current work with us?

Chrissy M: Sexual suicide will be my first published book; I’ve put a lot of time and effort in to this book. People continue to ask me about the name, for example someone asked me, “Is it a sexual way to commit suicide?” “Is it committing suicide in a sexual way?” And each time I say no.
Description: Sexual Suicide is a fiction based novel set in Indiana. After a horrific car accident, the effect on three young, beautiful girls turns out for the worst. As the gates of hell open up in their mind, the temptation to live, breath and kill become more of a reality when they awake from a terrible nightmare. A feud awakens when the sisters become torn together; fighting between heaven and hell, angels and demons, and reality and imagination.

This book is very suspenseful and raunchy; meaning there are a lot of sexual acts going on. This story has a lot to do with the devil and possession, but it gets twisted in the book when you figure out who is who and what’s going on!

OCZ: Tell us a little more about the structure, when and why did you begin writing? Was it always something that you wanted to do?

Chrissy M: I started writing at a young age to help cope with some of the things that were going on in my life. It became a getaway. Back then I didn't ever accomplish the projects I started but it helped to grow the writer in me that I am today.

OCZ: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Chrissy M: Things are not always as they seem…

OCZ: Who came up with the idea of the cover for  “Sexual Suicide” ?

Chrissy M: I came up with the idea for the cover; it’s still in edit right now. The cover is in transition. I have someone drawing up something great. There are several options for a cover; so I wait to see what works best.

OCZ: Where can one obtain a copy of “Sexual Suicide” ?

Chrissy M: As of right this moment the book is not for sale yet; there are few steps to take left; but the moment it’s up for sale you will be able to purchase on ebay, createspace.com, Lulu.com, or you can purchase it personally from me.

OCZ: What do you feel is the secret or requirement for writing effective horror fiction and keeping the suspense going for the reader?

Chrissy M: In order to keep the suspense going you have to throw out some twists and turns, something that the reader wouldn’t expect; it will make them want to continue. Find things that would question the writer and when they find the answer in the book, throw another curve ball.

OCZ: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Chrissy M: Sometimes I find it harder to go over the same chapters of writing over again because every time I do, I tend to come up with crazier, darker ideas; but then again that’s not a bad thing!  The hardest thing for me sometimes is concentration; Sometimes I get distracted easily and tend to drift off into something else.

OCZ: Do you write at a certain time of the day or night?

Chrissy M: I usually write during the day; when I'm still wide awake and focused, but I have to be playing weird chanting music! Creepy music to help fuel my odd dark writing.

OCZ: Has anyone ever been a bit weirded out by the topics you choose to write about?

Chrissy M: Well my family thinks I'm a little odd about the stuff I write, but other than that, no.

OCZ: What do you do to unwind and relax?

Chrissy M: Usually to unwind and relax, I crack a cold beer and either write, sing, or watch TV.

OCZ: So what’s next for you, in terms of forthcoming projects, more novels, short stories, or a combination, appearances, or anything else you’d like to promote?

Chrissy M: When Sexual suicide is out for sale and completely done, I do have another project I’ve been working on, you can find it on facebook if you type it, “Behind the Curtain.” It’s an opinion based book, topics of heaven, hell, religion, etc. It’s slow progress as I have been putting all my time into Sexual Suicide. I do not have any other projects lined up after that, but I hope to see how well people like Sexual Suicide to decide whether or not to make a second book, as the ending I left open for opportunity…Could be an end or another beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment