Sunday 25 May 2014

Interview on MY INK: Kevin Castle - NY Promoter

Name:  Kevin Castle
Profession: bookerman/ jacuzzi salesman
Residence: Somewhere in Queens NY
E-mail Interview by: Lady Kat Choas
Date: May 2014




OCZ: How old were you when you got your first tattoos?

Kevin Castle: It was 1992. I was age 23.

OCZ: How many tattoos do you have?

Kevin Castle: Too many to count...really.

OCZ: Which tattoo is your first and which one was your latest?

Kevin Castle: 1st- a smoking skull face with a western undertaker like hat on. Latest was just touch ups on my forearm tats.

OCZ: How long did it take you to build up your collection?

Kevin Castle: 22 years

OCZ: A lot of fans tattoo lyrics or favorite band logos, have you ever done that or plan on ever doing it?

Kevin Castle: I have 2 of my fav bands that inspired tats of mine, Alice In Chains and the Black Crowes.

OCZ: How often do you create your own design or have you ever gave a tattoo artist free range?

Kevin Castle: I've never picked a tat directly off a wall or outta a book...always altered any pic and def gave free range to artists.

OCZ: Do you have a piece or a few pieces that have the most meaning to you? Why that specific piece(s) is your favorite?

Kevin Castle: I have a arc angels & gargoyles theme going on and have all diff kinds from scary looking to silly looking.

OCZ: Which one of your tattoos was the most painful and where is it?

Kevin Castle: That tats on the back of both my hands, once that needle hits the knuckle its painful as fuck. Inside the arm up near the arm pit is a bitch as well.

OCZ: Which one of your tattoos took the longest to complete?

Kevin Castle: The med-evil castle with perching gargoyle that runs from my wrist up to near my elbow...def a long detailed process.

OCZ: Do you have a spot on your body that you would never tattoo?

Kevin Castle: Anywhere on my legs, its just not something that appeals to me.

OCZ: Did you pay for all the work you've had done? What was the the most expensive tattoo you've paid for?

Kevin Castle: I've been blessed with good friends in the industry who give me sweet deals but I def don't take for granted or abuse the privilege.

OCZ: Which tattoo style do you like best?

Kevin Castle: The style where that tattoo doesn't look like shit.

OCZ: Which artist(s) did your tattoos?

Kevin Castle: My first bunch of tats in the early to mid 90's were done by the [now] well known artist Amiel Gupta but the past 15 years I'm all about Kev Q from Fat Cat, I only go to Kev at this stage.

OCZ: Which tattoo artist do you admire?

Kevin Castle: see above answer

OCZ: Which tattoo artist would you like to get ink by that you've never went to before?

Kevin Castle: None, I'm not a mark for diff tat artists I'm quite content with my reg guy.

OCZ: Do you have a specific shop or artist that you frequent?

Kevin Castle: see above answer. lol.

OCZ: Some tattoo artist are booked for months, what was the longest you had to wait for your appointment?

Kevin Castle: Never have that prob..thank god.

OCZ: Do you regret getting any of your tattoos, now hate, want to replace, or have covered up, and why?

Kevin Castle: I currently have a couple I'd like to alter cause after 20 plus years you change things about yourself and you might not see things as you once viewed them..that's normal for most people, that's why cover ups are all the rage now..lol.

OCZ: Have tattoos affected your life? If so, in what way?

Kevin Castle: It doesn't really, when I 1st started getting ink on the regular in early 90's it wasn't fashionable then so it was still like a cool lil secret society thing and not even 20 percent of my friends had em but today almost every idiot you come across has tattoos in some form or fashion and its taken a lot of the shine off the apple so to speak.

OCZ: Have you ever been discrimination in the workplace and outside the workplace because you have tattoos?

Kevin Castle: Nah but I'm in the night club game for 2 decades so its not anything so unnatural or offensive to anyone..lol..but if I have to get a reg office 9 to 5 gig that might not be to good but lets hope that don't have to ever happen esp at my age..lol.

OCZ: Have you been approached or featured by any tattoo magazines?

Kevin Castle: I was asked to be in a magazine called *Hideous* but I don't think it was cause of tattoo's..lol.

OCZ: What advice would you give to someone who was going to get their first tattoo?

Kevin Castle: Don't unless your 100 percent sure you wont look back in a few years and say..what the f was I thinking?..lol.

OCZ: Do you have any new tattoos planned or underway?

Kevin Castle: I change my mind daily on that so the answer is yes and no...lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment